Thursday, October 13, 2011

Twelve week photography course

This week's assignment was to shoot some pictures indoors, making use of natural lighting as much as possible. These pictures are straight out of the camera, with no editing.


I actually set up a large white paperboard on the other side of my animals, which helped a lot in increasing the light. It reflected a lot of the natural light back at my subjects, lighting up their darker sides nicely.


Also, by making sure my focus was on my subjects, my camera adjusted the light for them, rather than for the bright window they were next to.


It helped that it was a very sunny day, with a lot of natural light coming inside. Also, my windows have white tissue paper over them (otherwise everyone could see right inside), which I think helped both increase the amount of good, clear light and also prevented sun glares.


I even had enough light to get a decent moving picture. Normally, this is one of the hardest things to do inside, because movement will blur without enough light. I'm sure I couldn't get this decent of a picture of the dogs wrestling inside, but for a good bit of minor movement, it worked.


For more photography tips, to check out other participants, or to try out this photo course yourself, go check out Twenty-Six to Life.

8 comments:

  1. Using a white board is a good idea. I never thought of that. I always try to shoot in natural light to avoid the ugly reflecting eyes... but my house is dark so the indoor shots are often too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great shots! I love the way all of them turned out - especially that last one :) Using a white board is a great idea, I'll have to remember that next time I try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! so wonderful and good photos! Your dogs are just so adorable and they also surely enjoy modelling! Great photos also from autumn!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Y'all!

    Great pictures! My Human has been taking the pictures but not publishing them as part of the photo course. :(

    Loved your Wordless Wednesday post too.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi guys we are new followers and we look forward to being friends!

    Wow very cool - I need to practice so much more with varied shots with my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! I love doing side profile shots!

    ReplyDelete