Monday, September 12, 2011

On the Menu Monday

I've tried many times to organize my shopping/meals in such a way that I have everything for the week's meals without having to run out to the store again. It never goes quite as planned, but I thought I would give it another shot.


*A note, is that I don't have a kitchen. I have a mini fridge, a microwave, a toaster oven, a hot plate, and a crock pot. I make an effort to cook home made food as often as possible within these limitations. Most of the time I will deliberately cook enough to have 3-4 meals at a time, since I live alone and cooking is a bit of a hassle with my kitchen (oh yeah, don't have a kitchen sink either, and washing dishes in the bathroom sink is a hassle).

What I'll be eating this week for:

Breakfast: Cereal w/ blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or peaches; Fried egg with chard and sausage, served on a toasted bagel thin with cheese.

Lunch: Tuna salad w/ pickles and cheese, served on crackers; leftovers; quesadillas.

Dinner: Hamburgers w/ caramelized Walla Walla Sweet onions; Sloppy Joes; Fajitas; Meat ball sandwiches out of the crock pot.


This weekend is a flyball tournament, and I want to bring a breakfast item to share that includes some of the amazing blackberries I have been picking. Anyone have a good, easy to make blackberry recipe that would be good for breakfast, travel easily, and is easy to eat?

To see some more menu planning ideas for the week, go visit I'm An Organizing Junkie and StoneGable

4 comments:

  1. Id think about bringing muffins - maybe use blackberries in place of raspberries in this recipe:
    http://www.coconutandlime.com/2010/06/raspberry-sour-cream-muffins.html

    Or - and I've done this with grapes - cook your berries down and sweeten them (till they're about like pie filling) then make a batch of plain muffins (I use my blueberry muffin recipe and leave the berries out) and dollop spoonfuls of the filling in the middle of each muffing.

    BTW, your dogs are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love topping burgers with caramelized onions too. Do you make the caramelized onions in your crock pot? I've been meaning to do that--I've heard you can make a big batch and freeze them for future use.

    The only thing I can think of for a blackberry recipe that would travel well is some kind of pocket pie. But then again, I'm not much of a baker, so perhaps you're better off not getting advice from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the tournament this weekend.

    On the subject of food do you change your dogs diet in the run up to race day? And do yo feed anything on race day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so organized, that's great! I feel like I'm at the grocery every other day because I don't plan meals ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete